Sunday, May 26, 2013

It's All in the Details!

Greetings! 
This week's blog is going to focus on the minute details of the city that I have so far been able to notice and have camera at the ready. 



This set of flats is near us, and on this day it rained,
literally all day--until we got close to home. 
I love seeing all the mini-chimneys on many of the older buildings...can't help but think of Charles Dickens and all those other English writers I have read who described those years of smog and smoke back when all of these chimneys worked! And of course, I have to wonder how did Burt fit down those chimneys for Mary Poppins? 

Metalwork has always appealed to me. One, it's something that catches my detail obsessed eye and also I can't help but marvel at the amount of work and skill that is needed to make it happen. I watched many a farrier over the years, prepare shoes for our horses and that does not account for 1/10th of the detail that we see in the workings of metal around the world. 

Here are a few I have had the time to capture:




Where to start on this detail of gates into Buckingham Palace?
 


Here's the full shot w/ Buckingham in the background.












I love the repeat of metal shapes 
from this angle. 






   Here they are from another perspective.











The metal work in front of the back gates of Parliament.

 
 

 Here's a shot through the rose shaped metal work.



This horse guard's helmet is amazing! Perhaps he doesn't feel the same in the summer!



 This horse guard is part of the regiment that still wears the metal breastplates.




  
If you look closely--you can see the images of the building in his breastplate.



 






Is it just me or is that a bison in the center?  I need to research this!

There was another detail I noticed today--of course we are surrounded by amazing marble work and masonry but this frieze really stood out because of the blue background. 






So, there are a few observations. There is so much to look at, there is no telling what I am missing. 
Until later, 
Toni 

No comments:

Post a Comment