Saturday, July 20, 2013

The English School of Falconry and Birds of Prey Centre--Fabulous

I finally got to go on my Birthday Excursion--I chose to go to the English School of Falconry and Bird of Prey Centre. It was brilliant!
I left from King's Cross Station one last time....Not going to be much talk on this blog---but lots of nice pictures. 


Beautiful


And ended up in Biggleswade. I then walked into town and took a cab to the centre.



Great name! 

When I first arrived we were allowed to look at all the birds that were tethered and would be shown to us later. 

Eagles, Owls, Falcons & Hawks! Really amazing variety. 

Very nice!


 

Heart shaped face--UK barn owl



We were allowed to "handle" quite a lot of birds. These have all been hand raised.  We started small and worked our way up. Started with smaller owls and then on to larger ones.






The Falcon Show---She is beautiful and amazingly fast! If I get back to London, I am going to go back and do a half day hunt with a falcon!!






 Don't look if you are squeamish!

Reward! Baby chick.



After the show we went back to handle more birds. And do some flying. (Well, we provided the landing. )





Who knew owls were so big and so heavy? 



South African Spotted Owl

Tawny


South African Eagle Owl. 
Pink skin over the eyes--represents maturity...it will 
eventually turn brighter red.

If you look closely--almost level with my hand Earl is taking off. 


Landing


Landed & Settled


A few other birds at the centre that are a little different. 


Cute pelican! Quite large!

Stork




More owl handling!



OK--so a little talk---learned something new. Owl eye color is based on what time they hunt. Owls with dark eyes hunt nocturnally. The yellow eyes--hunt during the day (diurnal), orange they hunt at dawn or dusk. (Learned a new word: crepuscular). 



Important and Pretty.

 The only ones that we could actually stroke their feathers--babies--because these feathers are not permanent. Owls feathers are not waterproof and are designed so that they fly silently--since they aren't fast like the raptors. (The bird lessons are done now. I promise.)


South African Babies

Last in line...the big eagles!









REALLY heavy!!! I am trying so hard to look like it is
easy to hold this bird up!



My body language is really awkward in the picture below...but I was really comfortable with all of them. Maybe I was turning toward the camera...and not wanting to disturb this beautiful eagle. Weird. 




Yep! That's my hand and those are some big talons!

African Fish Eagle




And to close a couple more owls:


Are not those the funnies legs you have ever seen? 


Cute Tawny Owl!! 




When do I hunt? 

Even the middle size Tawny has amazing talons. 

It was a great experience. The falconers were all very well educated and kind to both the eager (like me) and the timid. Everyone was given lots of time with all the birds. A really incredible experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment