Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Scott Visits the UK and We Go to Paris

Bonjour!

I fell in love...that later. This blog is filled with LOTS of pictures!!!

What an exciting and action packed week! Scott arrived on Monday and we did touristy things together and he went out on his own some too. This was our first time seeing each other in 7 weeks! 




First day--a walk through Bloomsbury and a stop
at Russell Square


Side view of The Russell Hotel
The gates into Buckingham

Outside Buckingham








We went to see the musical, Once, with all of the students. Then Scott and I were off to the Cornwallis pub (check out link below)  and had an amazing fish and chips. The batter was the crunchiest I have had here and it had sage and cider. Yum! My Pimm's lemonade had slices of cucumber, strawberries and oranges. Fabulous! Mushy peas...not so much.










Scott's Warder and tour guide for the
Tower of London.

On Wednesday, he went on a tour to Bath and Stonehenge. Since I have been 3 times and had just gone two weeks ago, I begged off and did office hours and prep for JMU's new President's visit to London. I also wen to the Courtalde Institute of Art outing. The President and his peeps came along. 



July 2nd---and a big jacket/coat is needed!!!
Mine and Scott's kind of weather.




No baths in Bath. Scott said it was overwhelming.


A Seurat painting I had never seen. Brilliant!


Art History students photo op with the President at The Courtald Institute



London is teeming with people. You can tell a distinct difference in the May/early June London and the one now filled with tourists. So funny that I don't think of myself as a tourist here--THEY are visitors...I have been here 9 weeks! 

Thursday was our second day together all day. Scott went to the British Museum in the morning, while I taught my class. We then went on a class outing to Harrods. Later in the afternoon, we explored Regent Street, Knightsbridge, Piccadilly and Leicester Square. That evening we went to see One Man Two Guv'nors and laughed and laughed.


We ate dinner at Hiba, a Lebanese restaurant where Scott had a lamb stew, I had the best chicken schwarma ever and other amazing foods. When we thought we could hold no more, we were served great mint tea, date cookies and mini-baklava. Then we went off to the flat to pack for Paris. It was 1:30 am!


I Hate Paris in the... Summertime

Not really, but there will be some French Kiss references for those who, like me, have seen that film a million times. It was however, VERY hot! For the first time in 2 weeks, Parisians had no rain--and lots of sun. More than 85 degrees worth of heat!!! We checked into the hostel and set off to explore the city. 

Scott and my room at the hostel was not the romantic concept that I had in mind when I picked this week for him to visit ---


Two single beds in a line...


Our first stop was Musee D'Orsay-- a beautiful museum that was formerly a train station. We did a tour with the student's art history teacher and then had some time on our own. 














It was very nice to see Starry Night Over the Rhone
up close and personal. This maybe one you haven't seen.





Lady Liberty's mini-me


Seurat is my favorite impressionist and my
overall favorite painter. Nice! I love pointillism.
We had a few minutes so Scott and I walked to Pont de l'Archeveche--most known as "Lock Bridge" because originally-- sweethearts --now-- just about everyone buy locks, write their names on them and make a wish and throw their key into the Seine. Since Scott and I decided to be total tourists for this trip, of course we did the same! We walked down to the other bridge that is quickly filling up with locks--so that we could find a space for our lock.  


Crazy amounts of locks!!





Our bridge


Our lock
Of course, a whole tourist industry has started, people sell locks and provide Sharpies for you to write. Some people come prepared with very ornate locks. Here's our attached to the bridge.





We also found this familiar face...from a distance, I said "Is that TJ?" It was. 

Thomas Jefferson, among many things, was known for his love of France. 




We then joined up with the group and walked to The Louvre. Formerly the palace of crowned heads (until Louis XIV thought he should have his own digs---Versailles) it is gigantic and beautiful. Gigantic because many kings/queens added on to it--of course. Must show up the prior "guv'nor."






















I loved this sign on the fountain...looks like
 it is telling you, "No walking on water!"




It is so difficult to get a sense of Nike at the top of the stairs because there are so many people everywhere...she "appears" as you walk up...very nice...hard to capture. 


Winged Victory of Samothrace

"Nike"


Venus, looking as lovely as usual. 


The ceilings were amazing!







I was prepared for Mona Lisa's small size but her story is so interesting and her stardom not due to any fantastic story...she might have been the Paris Hilton or Kardashian of the time! Famous for being famous. Still, a must see!!











We walked around a little bit more and then decided to head toward the hostel which was about a 30 minute metro trip away. Scott bought me two beautiful Limoge boxes that had a Parson Russell and Scottish Terrier on them. 


Here's a few doors I saw on the way:






The next day we all met up at Notre Dame. 
For some reason, I was expecting a much larger edifice. Maybe I just have cathedral ennui--but I LOVE gargoyles--have loved them WAY before they became popular in the 90's and I was really expecting to see more of them. I think the one in Prague (St.Vitus)  might have ruined me for all to come. 

Since this was the religious power of France between the 4th and 14th centuries, it was revered and not for the general public. As much was destroyed over the centuries, a great deal has been rebuilt. At one time all of the windows (replaced with clear glass), exterior and tombs were removed because it was considered idolatrous. 

During the French Revolution it was used for food storage. It was first restored around 1845. 





Great doors!




I did notice a lack of Biblical figures in these stained glass windows. There were a few, but no Stations of the Cross, etc. that I am accustomed to seeing in catholic churches. No one could tell me why. 

This rosette is amazing. 


I should have stood in front of these doors
so you could really get the scale!






Gargoyle Water Spouts

The flying buttresses


The biggest spectacle outside of Notre Dame was the woman who was feeding sparrows out of her hand. She stood there for quite some time feeding them--patient, unmoving and they snacked. (She is perhaps the modern day Parisian version of the Feed the Birds lady at St. Paul's in Mary Poppins? Oui?)





The next trip was toward the Eiffel Tower. Almost all of the students disappeared (this day was optional) and so one instructor, Scott, I and 3 students headed over to the Musee Quai Branly. We didn't go into this museum but I wanted to point out the beauty of the plants they have growing on the walls. An intentional change from the hard, cold marble and concrete of the city and the relief of green and lush. 
There is one building in Knightsbridge in London that has a small example of this technique--but this was magnificent. 





Of course everyone is taught to think that Paris, The City of Light, is the romantic city. I have never felt that way, but was interested in seeing the Eiffel Tower. The first glimpse is beautiful. 


"Beautiful! Wish You Were Here!"

The 3 students who stuck around. 




The reveal after coming out of the Metro is awe inspiring. Here is where I fell in love!


I really wasn't prepared for her beauty and size.

Sam fell in love with Big Ben and the Elizabeth Tower.  She took a million pictures from all over the city. I fell in love with the Eiffel Tower. Not as easy to "stalk" her in Paris--but I did my best. It is the most magnificent piece of design & engineering. 

Scott and I headed to stand in the lines and as we were there for almost 2 hours, struck up a conversation with the people behind us. They were Indian and from Houston, Tx, one woman was from the Phillipines but lived in Texas too. 

We had to go to the very top--but we chose to ride the elevator--too much walking in the days before with Physical-Therapist-not-approved-shoes! 

This is the mid-level view




This is where my camera's battery went dead! I couldn't believe that we hadn't yet made it to the top and no camera, no Ipad...so we looked for our new friends from Houston and they eagerly agreed to take our picture at the top and email it to us. I hope they remember. 

Here's a few more shots:


Arc de Triomphe from the Eiffel Tower mid level



I found a corner and sat at the very top for a long time. I LOVE heights. I knew I would most likely never be back...no working camera but I could sit and enjoy the views, the wind and the ambiance. I was sitting at the top of the Eiffel Tower! The two hour line was worth the wait. I didn't want to leave. 

We then decided to end our evening by taking a Bataux cruise up and down the Seine. Frustrating to have no pictures to show--but I think I have taken shots of almost everything that we encountered. We went back to the hostel, hot, sunburned and exhausted! 

The last day in Paris we decided to do a city open bus (hop on, hop off) tour. The only items on my checklist was the Arc de Triomphe de l'Etoile and to walk down the Champs-Elysees.  




On the Champs





Hard to see... but this is for the French Kiss folks. 
In the film she is facing the arch--
but finally a clear spot.



We decided to walk to the top of the Arch. Lots of steps. 284. Not really that many considering how many I have done since living in the UK these 9 weeks! 

The Arch honors those who died in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. An eternal flame marks the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, created on Armistice day at the end of World War I. 


Nice staircase---I think these make
you think you are doing less.





View of my "love" from the top of the Arch.
Oh! and Scott. 


Scott in the center of the Arch.

Off in the distance...
The Sacre Coeur Basilica
I really zoomed in
We then went to find some lunch. We stopped near the Le Madeleine Cathedral. A Neo-Classical design. 52 columns! 

Interesting fact: Chopin's funeral took place here and was delayed almost two weeks. Chopin wanted Mozart's Requiem to be sung but the Church had never permitted female singers in the choir. Eventually there were allowed to sing ...as long as they remained behind a black velvet curtain. "Bastards!"




Scott had a charcuterie platter--meats, cheeses

Wonder how this would go over in the US?

I had a Croque Monsieur--yum!

So, we wrap up the 3 days in Paris with some general snaps around town on the last of our bus tour. 






Under the Eiffel --construction going on
for more viewing platforms


The smaller Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel
A tribute to Napoleon-- he thought was needed.

Dessert anyone?




Guinea pigs are very big in the UK now--
Paris Virgin knows their marketing. 






Petit Palais

Grand Palais--Part of the Grand Exhibition. Very beautiful.


That's it folks. We travelled back through the Chunnel and arrived back in London about 10:30 on Sunday night. Scott left for Harrisonburg the next morning.  

I was really worried about this trip. 
I had never been to Paris. Didn't speak the language and had heard all the talk about how rude the French were. I found that if you used at least a Bonjour to get you started and a Merci to thank and a few other words here and there, everyone was grateful and happy to help. I did have some major problems the first day as I was nervous and was caught saying Grazie, Danke and several other words that were not French, but overall, we managed the city very well and the French people were very accommodating. 

That was  a huge trip! Our very last one as a group. Whew! Paris: Tres magnifique! 

1 comment:

  1. Et bien, bravo. Ddescription tres detaillee! I think it's interesting that you love doors so much. Daphne was the same way when she visited me in Belgium. Personally, the windows were my focus of interest. I wonder what it says about our personality???

    Notice how smiley you are on the pictures with Scott! Ah! Ah! I have to conclude that the twin beds had no impact on your mood!

    I like your pictures. Reminds me of my last time in Paris... 25 years ago. Urie so wanted to go; I didn't have the money to accommodate his wanderlust. Will have to take him some day. Glad you liked Paris. (But... the Eiffel Tower obsession? What's up with that?!)

    ReplyDelete